OXO Good Grips Pro Y Peeler, Black
OXO's Peelers – An a-peel-ing alternative
The Swivel Peeler was the first of over 800 OXO tools introduced since 1990. OXO's founder was inspired to create a better functioning, more comfortable alternative to the traditional metal peeler after watching his wife struggle while peeling apples for a tart.
OXO's line of peelers includes options for all kinds of preferences, including the original Swivel Peeler, a Y-Peeler, a Serrated Peeler and a Julienne Peeler.
OXO's iconic Swivel Peeler has found a home in the permanent collections of museums all over the world, including New York City's Museum of Modern Art. Next time, tell your friends you own a bona-fide museum piece!
- Small, uncomfortable handles hurt users' hands during repetitive tasks and require strength to grip; Handles do not flex for comfort
- Materials used are slippery, especially when wet
- Inefficient blades with poor cutting angles and sharpness cut into edible parts of fruits and vegetables, resulting in significant waste
- During development, designers literally watched people of all ages and abilities (male & female, young & old, lefties & righties and people with special needs) interact with the product to identify precisely where on the handle users applied pressure while peeling.
- The design team explored hundreds of different handles and learned that a bicycle handle, with its large size and "grippy" material, was a very effective jumping-off point for the Swivel Peeler. Bicycle handles have to be sturdy enough to give riders a significant amount of control, a feature that was lacking in the world of kitchen tools.
- While sourcing parts for the original Swivel Peeler, designers worked with a blade manufacturer that was famous for creating Samurai swords. What better way to ensure the user would not have to expend much effort when peeling a carrot, apple or potato?
- Large handle fits comfortably in hand and elliptical shape keeps it from rotating; "Fins" on either side absorb pressure while in use.
- Durable, rubberized material provides a cushioned, non-slip grip and significant control, even when wet.
- Sharp blades are angled to remove only the minimum amount of peel necessary with little force
With the introduction of the Swivel Peeler, OXO set a new standard by creating a wonderfully effective, attractive tool that people of all ages and abilities were proud and eager to use. Consumers everywhere were taken with the "roly-poly, pudgy handles, " changing the look of kitchens the world over.
Ever wonder what makes an OXO product an "OXO Product"?
OXO employees believe there are two rules that should guide product development: First, every new product must deliver a significant improvement over the status quo. Second, the functionality should never be sacrificed to make the product more attractive – above all it should work well.